The new version of the world’s most advanced desktop operating system takes the Mac experience to another level.
After several months of beta testing, Apple officially released macOS Ventura.
macOS Ventura introduces Stage Manager, a new system for grouping windows and maintaining order but still keeping everything at hand. The update also introduces the Continuity Camera feature, designed to allow us to use the iPhone as a webcam for our Mac.
Handoff is now available for FaceTime so you can transfer calls between iPhone, iPad, and Mac at will, and Messages supports features to mark an iMessage as unread, unsend an iMessage, and mark it as unread. SharePlay now also works in the Messages app.
Here is the official macOS 13 changelog:
macOS Ventura further enhances the most frequent activities on your Mac, with important updates to the apps you use every day, including Mail, Messages, and Safari. Thanks to the Continuity camera, you can use iPhone as a webcam for the Mac.
Stage Manager also introduces an innovative method to automatically organize windows. And when you upgrade, you get the latest Mac security and privacy protection.
- Cancel or schedule a message to be sent and receive notifications about emails to remember and recipients who have not replied to you to easily check correspondence.
- Improved search delivers more accurate and complete results and displays suggestions as soon as you start typing
- “Quick Look” allows you to easily preview a file by pressing the space bar while a result is selected
- Searching for pictures helps you find them on the web, in the Finder, and in Photos, Messages and Notes
- Extensive results for musicians, movies, businesses, sports and more.
Safari and passkey
- Share a group of panels with other people and instantly view updates as you collaborate
- Passkeys offer a simpler and more secure login method that replaces passwords
- Edit messages, unsend them and mark them as unread to facilitate conversations.
- SharePlay via Messaging lets you watch a movie, listen to music and more with friends while texting.
- Easily invite others to collaborate on a file via Messages and get updates on activity in the conversation.
- The shared photo library on iCloud allows you to easily share photos and videos with up to five family members in a separate and integrated photo library.
- Stage Manager automatically organizes apps and windows, bringing the active app to the center and moving the others to the left of the screen.
- Switching between apps is simple – just click on one of those shown on the left side of the screen
- Group apps into subgroups within Stage Manager.
- Quick Desktop Access allows you to easily drag and drop files into apps in Stage Manager.
- Handoff in FaceTime allows you to easily transfer FaceTime calls from Mac to iPhone or iPad and vice versa.
- The Continuity Camera allows iPhone to be used as a Mac webcam when it is close to the computer and placed on a stand (iPhone XR and later).
- Video and lighting effects include Portrait mode (iPhone XR and later), Auto Framing (iPhone 11 and later), and “Photo Set Light” (iPhone 11 and later).
- Desk Overview uses iPhone’s ultra-wide-angle camera to show what’s on your desk during a video conference (iPhone 11 and later).
This version also includes other features and improvements:
- The Clock app for Mac includes local times, timers and alarms to provide a seamless experience across all Apple devices.
- The Weather app arrives on the Mac: it is optimized for larger screens and includes immersive animations, hourly forecasts and detailed weather maps.
- “Lift Subject From Background” isolates the subject of an image so you can copy and paste it into apps like Mail and Messages.
- Full immersion filters help you avoid distractions in apps like Calendar, Mail, Messages, Safari, and third-party apps.
- System Settings has a new name and an easier-to-navigate design.
- Rapid security interventions ensure improvements to macOS protection even faster.
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Mac models.
Macs compatible with macOS Ventura:
- iMac 2017 and later
- iMac Pro 2017 and later
- MacBook Air 2018 and later
- MacBook Pro 2017 and later
- Mac Pro 2019
- Mac mini 2018 and later
- MacBook 2017 and later
- Mac Studio 2022