During the Time Files event, the Cupertino giant announced that iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS 14 and watchOS 7 will be released tomorrow September 16th.
iOS 14 is a significant update for iPhone users, offering long-awaited support for Home screen widgets, plus a new app library feature to organize apps you don’t want to keep on the Home screen. The update also offers new compact interfaces for Siri and incoming calls, as well as Picture-in-Picture functionality for video playback.
Here are some key features of the new update:
- Featured conversations in the Messages app
- Mentions in the Messages app
- Answers online for iMessage
- Ability to change default email app and web browser
- Search for emojis
- Bike directions in Apple Maps
- A brand new Translate application
- HomeKit improvements: Face recognition, Active zones, Adaptive lighting
- CarPlay Wallpapers
- New CarPlay App Types: Parking, EV Charging, Quick Food Ordering
- Spatial audio for AirPods Pro
- App clips for quick access to app features without downloading the full app
- New privacy features
- Sharing your approximate location
watchOS 7 includes a number of new changes and improvements. Two of the main features include native sleep tracking and watch face sharing.
New types of training such as dance, functional strength training, core training and recovery time make it easier to accurately track exercise, and automatic hand washing detection starts a countdown of 20 seconds.